Exclusive private Madison River access rental properties
Our Suggestions for 2018
When you arrive
If you fly into Bozeman, you can do your grocery shopping there. Costco is on 19th Street. You can also shop at Safeway on 19th Street or the higher end grocery store Rosauers on Huffine Lane. Foodies may want to shop at the Coop on Main Street. If you are in a hurry, you can go to Albertson's in Belgrade. Otherwise, just have Madison Foods deliver your order to your house. They will put it in your refrigerator for you!
Fill up in Ennis. It is easy to run out of gas here. If you find you are too low to get to Ennis or Yellowstone, call us and we can bring you some gas.
- For the fly fisherman we know a great outfitter, Gordon Patton, the owner of Willow Springs Outfitters. He has guides for both Stillwater and Stream Fishing. He also is licensed to wade guide in Yellowstone Park! His phone number is 406-682-4884. You can ask Gordon just about any question on fishing, hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, hunting or boating and he'll be an encyclopedia of information to call upon. With 33 years experience as a professional guide and outfitter in Montana, Gordon Patton has an in-depth knowledge of this remarkable fly fishing area. He is a true gentleman and one of the best and most professional guides you will ever meet.
- Fly Fishing supplies, licenses and information-
- Beartooth Lodge on Highway 87 in Cameron. Nancy and Dan are the owners and delightful and knowledgeable people.
- The Slide Inn is on Highway 287 towards Yellowstone. It is owned by Kelly Galloup. He is a pretty famous fishing guide and has a fully stocked fly shop.
- Only need your fishing license? You can buy and print out your license before you even leave home. Don’t have your license? Hop over to the West Fork Cabins and RV Park, located between mile marker 14 and 15 on US Highway 287 North.
- INFORMATION YOU REALLY NEED: Using a fishing guide is really a good idea. They know the river, where the best fishing is during your visit, hazards and most of all…. The fishing regulations. Don’t let your experience be tainted by a visit from the conservation officer. As of 2016: THE MADISON RIVER IS NOW OPEN YEAR ROUND. Most of this stretch of the Madison is catch and release. But, don’t take my word for it… go to Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: 2018 Fishing Regulationsfwp.mt.gov/fishing/regulations
- The closest opportunity for horse back riding is at the CB Ranch which is right off of Highway 287. Go to their link to find out more http://cbcattleranch.com
- Guided horseback rides-You can ride up to a high lake where your fly fishing person can also fish! Contact Greg Doud from Sphinx Mountain Outfitting. 406-682-7336. You may want to make reservations before you arrive. Greg usually takes out three to four riders at a time. This is truly an "out into the wilderness or up to a fishing lake" riding experience. www.sphinxmountainoutfitting.com 406-682-7336
- Virginia City trail ride. This is a great ride for youngsters or those who don’t want to spend hours in the saddle. Go to www.montanacarriage.com
- Near Yellowstone, try Yellowstone Horses at yellowstoneworld.com. Or if you would like to ride in the park, the National Park Service has a number of licensed outfitters who will guide you.
Shopping in Ennis
- The Buckhorn Exchange- great antique mall
- Made in Montana- unique gifts made in Montana
- Nearly New- a resale store run by the Madison Valley Women’s Club. You can find unusually high end items here as well as great silent auction items. Great place to go if someone forgot to bring something they need.
- Plain Jane and the Average Joe- set on the corner in downtown Ennis, this store run by a local family. You will love their selection.
- Antler Design- great pieces for a mountain home look
- Benjie’s- unique silver jewelry at a good price.
- Willy's Distillery- an interesting spot for shopping for Montana moonshine!
- Gallery 287 is located on the north end of town by the bowling alley on US Highway 287. Filled with fabulous work by local artists. Don't miss it! (You may want to drive from downtown Ennis to this gallery)
Restaurants in Ennis
- The Gravel Bar- great casual dining, especially outside on the deck. They serve Cold Smoke beer, a Missoula Scotch Ale that many of us love after a hot day outside. You can also try their nachos but be sure to ask about adding pulled pork. The fish and chips are also good.
- The Alley Bistro- a great place dinner. Located right next to the bowling alley. Each time we go we are delighted with our meals. Reservation are a good idea. 406-682-5695
- Take out pizza. Order it from the Bistro and go to their take out entrance. Finish cooking it at home. 406-682-5695
- The Sugar High (used to be the old Dairy Queen). Great burgers, fries and shakes.
- The Pic-i-nic Basket- great for breakfast burritos and packed fishermen’s lunches.
- Bynee's- family restaurant with lots of choices. Located on Main Street
- Bear Trap Café- open for breakfast and lunch
- Drive through for coffee and breakfast. Right by the fire station and town hall. On the Fly. We love her chorizo burritos.
Madison Foods: the only game in town. THEY WILL DELIVER GROCERIES TO YOUR RENTAL FOR A MILEAGE FEE. Remember in Montana you can buy wine and beer in the grocery store. Check out the wines and the Montana microbrew selection. We are stuck on Cold Smoke Scotch Ale. Also try their homemade tortilla chips and salsa. Monday and Friday nights they offer prime rib and a baked potato for $10. Call early to reserve the cuts you want. www.madisonfoodsmt.com.
For great meat, homemade brauts and jerky try Deemo’s which is right across from the fisherman sculpture in the center of town. If you call ahead, they will roast a chicken for you and have it ready by 5:00. 406-682-7306
- Massage comes to you!!! A great idea for mom! Call Gay, a licensed and certified Massage Therapist. Call 406-600-2599.
- In Ennis, try Waning and Waxing for fabulous facials. Try to book ahead. During the summer Lisa will most likely be very busy. Waningandwaxingspa.com or call 406-570-4683
- Want a new hairdo or spray tan? Call Trenz.. For your hair ask for Tanya 406-682-3400
- Want to do a medical treatment? Medspa at Flawless Skincare 406-581-1304. She has been here for a number of years and her clients look fabulous. I am not kidding. A realtor in town that I know goes to Medspa and I thought she was in her thirties. She is 51!!
- Want a massage, facial or spray tan try whisperingwillowmt.com
Activities around Ennis
- Golfing and Tennis go to www.madisonmeadowsgolfcourse.com for more information
- Bowling at the Fish Bowl. Youi can order food and drinks from the Bistro which is right next door. Great Family night activity. Open in the summer on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Madison Valley Theater- go to their website. Showings at 7:00. Has just been remodeled and it is a great experience.
- Lions Club Park and Children's Fishing Pond
- Virginia City- historic town over the hill past Ennis. A great family experience
Medical needs? Madison Valley Hospital offers full emergency and non-emergency services. 406-682-6862. They offer great, professional care. We know from personal experience!
Restaurants Near Your Rental House
- Blue Moon Saloon- Has a full bar. Under new ownership.. 406-682-4555. Turn left on US Highway 287 and go north towards Ennis. Cameron is before Ennis.
- The Grizzly Bar and Grill- a long standing tradition originally run by Eric Smith. He still lives behind the restaurant and is in the excavation business. Now run by Nick and Katrina who are two wonderful, really hard working people. The nightly specials often sell out so get there early. They open at 4:00 every day except Tuesday.They now offer a full bar as well as a good wine and beer list. 406-682-7118 Go right on US Highway 287.
Other Great Activities Around the Area
- Quake Lake Visitors Center: They had their grand reopening after a full updating. Go right on US Highway 287, Go towards Yellowstone. The Visitors Center is on your
- left after Slide Inn.
- Cliff and Wade Lakes: Located just south of your location, these lakes are great for fishing as well as swimming. You can rent boats, canoes and kayaks at Wilderness Edge at Cliff Lake.
- Yellowstone National Park and West Yellowstone
- IMAX theater- you can buy your tickets ahead of time on line.
- Yellowstone Museum
- Grizzly Bear and Wolf exhibit
- Ranger guided tours in Yellowstone
- Kayaking on Yellowstone Lake
- Go to www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/
Learning about our wildlife Download the app on your phone fieldguide.mt.gov
Sporting Equipment Rentals
- We love http://www.freeheelandwheel.com/bike-rentals/ in West Yellowstone. Great people with lots of information for you.
- Big Boy Toys in Bozeman rents a large variety of sporting equipment.
- High Mountain Rentals in Idaho also has lots of equipment for rent. www.highmountainadventures.com
- At Cliff Lake you can rent boats, canoes and kayaks.
Norris area (towards Bozeman)
- From your rental, go north (left on Highway 287) take a right at the Fisherman statue in Ennis. You will travel over Norris Hill. Make a right towards Bozeman. The Hot Springs are on your right.Norris Hot Springs- a funky natural hot springs pool. Bring your suits and towels. Wine, beer and food available to purchase. A great way to relax after a long day. $9 gets you in to dunk. Features locally grown produce. www.norrishotsprings.com . If you forgot a suit, you can probably find one at the Nearly New in Ennis.
- Float the Madison River. This section of the Madison is famous for the “Bikini Hatch” as many college students and whole families come to enjoy a lazy float on this wide section of the river. Gp to madisonrivertubing.com and let then do all of the work of bringing your tubes and shuttling you. Wear sneakers or wading shoes so you can get out of the water if you need to.
Fun for the family includes horse drawn carriage tours, walking tours, live theater and a short train ride to Nevada City. Our friend Gay owns the Bale of Hay Saloon and her husband Scott runs the fire truck tours. He is a hoot. You can also pan for garnets and gold. Go to www.virginiacity.com for more information.
America's largest ski area, as measured by skiable acreage, during the winter but open in the summer for bike riding and zip lining. Go to www.bigskyresort.com/Activities/Summer/on-mountain.asp
We hope all of this information helps you have a wonderful time here!
Terry and Cynthia Quirk
Madison River Rentals
37 West Palisades
Cameron, Montana 59720
Terry’s cell 406-640-1865